ABC Journal - Summer of the Swans

Summer of the Swans – Betsy Byars

A
Aunt Willie
Aunt Willie, who had been taking care of them since the death of their mother six years ago, was saying loudly, “No, not on a motorcycle. No motorcycle!” Page: 11

B
Boysie
Sara Godfrey was lying on the bed tying a kerchief on the dog, Boysie.
Page: 1

C
Charlie Godfrey
She put the stick back in and handed it to him. “Now if it comes off again – and I mean this, Charlie Godfrey- I’m throwing the candy away.” Page: 7

D
Dairy Queen
She was doing the same things that she had done last summer-walk to the Dairy Queen with her friend Mary, baby-sit for Mrs. Hodges,-watch television and yet everything was different. Page: 6 

E
Eddy Albert
Hey walked past the Tennents’ house just as someone inside turned on the television, and they heard Eddie Albert singing, “Greeeeeeen acres is-“ before it was turned down. Page: 23 

F
Frank
She stood at the top of the steps until Frank, a thin boy with red hair, brought the motor scooter to a stop. Page: 15

G
Gretchen
“That nice little Gretchen Wyant was lucky all she got was water on her silk dress.” Page: 69

H
Hair styles
“Well, just come in and see how she’s going to cut it. She has a whole book of hair styles.” Page: 25

I
Important
“I think how you look is the most important thing in the world…” Page: 22

J
Joe Melby
She thought she would sit down for a moment now that everyone was gone, but when she looked around she saw Joe Melby still standing behind her. Page: 122

K
Kerchief
Sara held up the dog with the kerchief neatly tied beneath his chin. Page: 1

L
Lunch
“… That’s no breakfast, Sara. It’s my lunch” Page: 72

M
Mary
Then she went into the house with Mary, saying, “I really can’t stay but a minute because I’ve got to take Charlie down to see the swans and then I’ve got to get home in time to dye my tennis shoes-“ Page: 25

N
Notice
“People don’t notice things like that.” Page: 3

O
Orange
“These, these awful orange things. They make me look like Donald Duck or something.” Page: 25

P
Pomeranian
“Because my aunt had twin Pomeranian dogs that rode in a baby carriage and because I once ate a piece of pomegranate…” Page: 56

Q
Queens College
Betsy Byars was born in Charlotte, North Carolina, and graduated from Queens College. (Last page of the book)

R
Ravines
There was a ravine in the forest, a deep cut in the earth, and Charlie had made his way into it through an early morning fog. Page: 97

S
Swans
“I still can’t get it out of my head that Charlie went back to see the swans,” Sara said. Page: 66

T
Tears
After a while he roused enough to wipe his hands over his cheeks where the tears and the dirt had dried together and to rub his puffed eyelids. Page 97

U
Uttered
He wailed, yielding in helplessness to his anguish and his piercing screams, uttered again and again, seemed to hang in the air so that they overlapped. Page: 100

V
Voices
“Maybe our voices are alike, but that’s all. I can make my voice sound like a hundred different people …”  Page: 19

W
Wanda
Her sister Wanda was sitting at the dressing table combing her hair. Page: 1

X
Except
“Nothing, except that when you want to hide something, you don’t go painting it orange. I’ve got to go. Frank’s coming.” Page:4

Y
Young lady
“Well, I have not finished with this conversation yet, young lady.” Page: 20

Z
Motorized
“It’s just like a motorized baby carriage, Aunt Willie.” Page: 17

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Glad you could stop by... Please leave a trace in the comments section below. ~ Rachel Israel

Coffee with Jesus

Coffee with Jesus
Coffee with Jesus
visitors View My Stats